Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More incredible days

The whirlwind of time filled with amazing days continues here in Guangxi. Our time in Desheng at the orphanage was just beyond our wildest expectations. We were able to get the trainings done and spend time having a party with the babies and some of the older children. Walking into the party room, a former room of the third floor of Desheng SWI, and seeing little toddlers sitting on chairs waiting for our arrival will be something I will never forget. There are twin boys there, with huge eyes to capture even the hardest of hearts. There was a little girl with spike hair sitting next to a little one with pony tails. These little ones had the sweetest smiles and they shyly looked at us and the cakes. One of the orphanage doctors, Ms Qin, told me of another heart baby like my Lianna Tingting. Soon, she appeared in the room with a tiny 7 month old sweetheart whose eyes could touch a soul. Her breathing was fast due to her heart condition, and her skin was so soft as I held her and rocked her gently. If I could only bring all of them home.
As the party was underway, Linda quickly summoned me to the window where we saw our very special older girls MengLu and XiuLi. They went running up to the third floor as we went running down the stairs. It was so nice to hug them again and see their beaming eyes. How much I had missed them and how much they had grown since 2006. They joined us for the party and easily engaged in a frosting fight with each other. It is good to see them playful and happy.
Katelyn loved the party, and her "Desheng sister" babies were the highlight for her. She walked around touching them, and begged to hold a baby. I found a safe spot for her to sit, and she tenderly stroked the baby as she held her on her lap.
All of the nannies and staff were so proud of their little ones, and showed them off and posed them for photos. We were able to take lots of photos, but the internet connection here is so spotty that I will not be able to upload them until we get to Beijing on Saturday.
Another highlight of the time here was spent watching the nannies excitedly looking at the photo album of former children they cared for. A large group quickly built around as they flipped through looking at the stunningly gorgeous girls. As I walked away and began playing with another baby who recently had abdominal surgery, I heard someone begin crying. She ran towards me, hugging me and crying speaking quick mandarin (which I could not understand). I would later find out that she was incredibly moved by a letter and photos of a child she had loved and cared for as a baby. These women truly love the little ones they care for, and just crave any little bit of information that can be given.
As we got ready to go, Linda and I went out into the hallway where Lianna would walk up and down as she played as a toddler. We watched the little ones walk back to their rooms, Mr Huang decided it would be ok for Linda and I to go with our three Desheng girls into the baby rooms. What a gift! In room 308, there were 13 babies in cribs or on the floor. One of them was the little heart baby I met hours earlier sleeping quietly in her crib. There was a newborn baby, so tiny and soft, sleeping quietly all swaddled up. A little 5 month old caught my eye, and as I speaked to her softly she began smiling and smiling. In room 306 we saw a mischeiveous toddler climbing out of her crib. Babies were playing on the floor. To be in the rooms where my daughters spent so much of their early months is still an indescribable feeling.
It is so hard to post this while including the feelings and emotion, but it is time I will never forget.

1 comment:

Christy Murray said...

Just as I was getting frustrated at my latest email from the home study social worker that my doctor letter is not dated, I was able to read about Desheng. Perfect timing to remember why we are all doing this in the first place. How could I let mountains of paperwork that has been done and redone slow me down? Thanks for keeping us all updated. Katelyn's smile is filled with light. She clearly is so happy on this trip. We are SO GLAD that you are there. Love you, Christy, Geoff and Gretchen