Sunday, June 22, 2008

Heading home

Today we will begin the long trek home. Our flight is an evening flight, for which I am grateful. I hope that we will all sleep much of the flight back to the US. We are expected to arrive in Washington Dulles sometime around 9:30pm, and get back into Boston sometime around 11:45 pm on Tuesday.
I asked Katelyn today if she was ready to get home. She said no. Lianna is ready to get back, saying she misses everyone. Katelyn has a wonderful time here, and it was great to see her loving the country where she was born. We experienced so much in such a short time that I am sure we will be processing it for a long time to come.
Everything we did was beyond my expectations. The trainings at both Desheng and Nanning SWI's went incredibly well. Nanning asked me to come back the following day, to work with their children who have CP. I was able to do that, and they hoped I could join them again the next day, which was impossible. I love working together as a team to help children, so I was certainly in my element. The little ones were able to go into the baby rooms and play with small babies as I worked.
We also were able to play with the girls of the GGEF program in Desheng (www.ggef.org)which we support. It was so much fun to play duck duck goose, hula hoops, and parachute games. XiuLi and MengLu were there (the older orphans of Desheng) which was so amazing. These girls have such a sparkle in their eyes. I loved that they could play with the other girls, rather than being ostracized for being orphans. All of the girls had smiles much of the day, and we all hated to leave.
And so our time here in China is coming to an end, as all things must do. We're heading home. And we all are a bit different people after experiencing life here for the past few weeks.
Zai Jian! See you soon!
Cindy

No comments: