Thursday, June 26, 2008

Home

We are home! Even though we feel a world away, China is still very close in our hearts. Both girls are asking when we can go back. I told them we need to get through the jet lag first! The girls seem to have picked up some hand foot and mouth on our travel home, with sores inside their mouths. Better here than while traveling.
I have so many memories that keep running through my head. When I do get to sleep, I dream about the little faces I met on this trip. We are all operating still on China time, up from about 2:00am on. I forgot how hard jetlag hits when traveling from east to west. It never seems as bad when going from west to east.

Some things that I won't forget are:
Seeing the two oldest orphans at Desheng SWI riding their bike up to the baby building with the biggest smile on their faces.
Chun Miao eating chicken head...the best part she says!
Watching my girls with their nanny who took them home when they were babies, giving them extra special love and care.
Seeing the children with CP, and working with their therapists to help them.
Being in room 308 at Desheng, and seeing all of the babies in that room.
Seeing the little one in room 306, climbing out of her crib!
Being atop the Great Wall and meeting the manager of Run DMC. He took our picture!
Being sopping wet in Desheng as we drove around to get finding site photos.
Riding in the rickshaw.
Seeing the old "great wall" of Desheng, traveling along the ancient road there, and seeing the ancient well.
Laughing with all of the girls of GGEF, and seeing them have so much fun.
Hearing Matthew share the bible with others.
Seeing the "suggestion" of crosswalks and traffic lights!
Watching water buffalo walk down the streets of Desheng.
Working with Xiao Xiao, giving examples and helping the presentations make sense in cultural terms.
Seeing snails for breakfast (nope, didn't try them!).
Getting greeted at 2:30 am in Hechi by familiar faces.
Seeing the older orphans of Nanning SWI becoming self sufficient by selling their beautiful jewelry.
Riding on South Lake at Dusk in Nanning, and going under the rainbow waterfall.
Seeing so many beautiful people who look like my daughters and knowing that this is the place where they are from.

People have asked me why I would travel half way around the world with a 3 year old and 6 year old to do this trip. The answer is simple. Life is short. I need to seize all opportunities placed in my path. I want to do all I can do to make sure my daughters grow up to love their beginnings. I love their beginnings, and am so grateful that I've been given the chance to give back in such a small way.

1 comment:

Gigliello-Roy Family said...

Cindy, Katelyn and Ting Ting,

We can't wait to see you and to hear even more about your trip!!

Welcome back!!!

With lots of love,
Heather, Tim, Reegan and Adie